All great speakers were nervous at first.
If you’re public speaking, imagine yourself feeling confident; if you’re nervous about a date and thinking, ‘I’m going to look like a dork,’ picture yourself being funny and witty instead. Then the confidence mindset will be more familiar to your brain than failure mindset.
10 tricks to feel more confident before a meeting:
- Reflect on your strengths. You were asked to speak for a reason. Because of your experience, your insight and your hard work.
- Breathe in for 4 seconds and exhale for 8 seconds. Imagine all that nervous energy leaving your body on the exhale.
- Envision yourself in a past situation when you were successful at completing a challenging task. What helped you be successful then?
- Seek out the cantankerous audience member beforehand and ask them what is on their mind.
- Prepare and research. Know your answers to difficult questions and opposite views.
- Where a power color. Teal, and other shades of blue are said to project confidence.
- Comfort. Wear clothing that is comfortable and professional, and that makes you feel good. Eat something that is light on the stomach 45 minutes before.
- Loosen up. Talk on the phone with a friend or family member who makes you feel relaxed before a meeting, and then carry that feeling with you into the meeting.
- Arrive early, by at least 10 minutes so that you can meet people as they arrive.
- Active constructive responding. Listen carefully to what others say and choose your replies wisely.
3 tips for after meeting:
- Pat yourself on the back after it has ended!
- Do something small to celebrate being finished.
- Follow up with attendees to express your gratitude for their time.
Still feeling anxious? Get more support with CoachOgle.